The idea behind this blog is to educate/help/enlighten and not to create controversy or to incite. The opinions and views expressed on this blog are purely personal. Please be soft in your language, respect Copyrights and provide credits/links wherever possible.The blog team indemnifies itself of any legal issues that may arise out of any information/ views posted by anyone on the blog. E-mail: gavinivn@gmail.com
Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

THE GAMES POLITICIANS PLAY AT THE COST OF COMMON MAN

PERSONAL ACCOUNT BY A JOURNALIST- AT NIMS HYDERABAD
Seven am, Monday. I saw my apprehensive 64-year-old mother accompanied by my 73-year-old father off as they headed to Nims for tests to be followed by a minor surgery on my mother. I assured them I would join them as the operation was scheduled at 3 pm. Inside, all the channels replayed the Vijayawada MP Lagadapati Rajagopal missing story and speculated that he might surface at Nims. Journalistic instinct told me that it could be Nims and got me a bit worried . At about 2 pm, the flash came. Lagadapati sneaks into Nims. I got going, picked up my sister-in-law en route. As we reached Nims from the Punjagutta side, there was a huge posse of policemen . Quickly, I parked the car aside and we crossed the road on foot. I left her inside the hospital and went up to the inspector in charge and told him that I needed to get my car inside to take my mother back. Sir, there is going to be problem soon, he said.

After persuasion, he relented. I sprinted back to the car and took a U turn to get into Nims and faced another police picket diverting traffic. With no choice I drive into Erramanzil colony to reach the rear entrance of Nims off Banjara Hills Road No. 1. After meandering through chaotic traffic I reach the lane leading to the rear entrance after an hour. Again a huge posse of policemen told me to go away. My mother is inside and I have to go in, I shouted. Sorry, there is a law and order problem, they replied. After some arguing , they allowed me to go in on foot. At the gate another police picket blocked it with their Sumo. Orders not to let anyone in or out, yanked the head constable. Next to me I saw two burkha-clad women, one holding a few months old baby pleading meekly to let them in as they had to see the doctor. No way, said the cop. I asked the young mother her name. Nasreen Begum, she replied.

Another old man Venkateswara Rao was waving his attendant pass to the cops and said that his wife was admitted inside. Many others joined the chorus but the cops were unmoved. Angry and frustrated I asked the head constable on whose orders would he let me in. When he gave the name and rank I called our crime reporter to get the officers mobile no. After several attempts I got the officer online. I introduced myself and explained my situation to him. We were let in. But what about going back Do you expect a 64-year old woman to walk a good kilometre just after surgery I demanded. The cop assured help.

After a few hours as my mother walked out of the operation theatre and we came down to the front of the Nims, the scene resembled a battle zone. Barbed wire fencing at different points and groups of policeman in anti-riot gear. I called my cop friend and met him. He is fit as a fiddle. The politician is using this premier institute for national coverage. Now the Vijayawada commissioner has been suspended, fumed another cop. Later, the cop finally summoned his own car and ordered the driver to drop us at the rear gate. As I thanked him, I could sense the controlled anger among the cops as they were blamed for complacence and negligence as Lagadapati pulled a fast one in Vijayawada and finally surfaced in Nims and they having to protect him here.

Heading back home, I thought, if this what I have to go through having to pull strings just to get what is my right, what about the Nasreen Begums and Venkateswara Raos of this city and state who suffer silently for no fault of theirs They too are citizens and they have as much right as KCR or Lagadapati to use the services of Nims. In fact, their needs are genuine . Not yours, Messrs Chandrasekhar Rao and Lagadapati! We dont want your farce unto death shows. Do them elsewhere.


HEAVY SECURITY: Policemen keep vigil at the entrance of the Nims on Monday

(SOURCE - TOI)

No comments:

Post a Comment